Chapter Two - Why My Parents Married

Grandma and Grandpa
1969 or 1970
Momma had a big resentment toward her adopted parents. She didnt know she was adopted or why grandma was so strict on her. She came to find out that she was adopted when she went to the house safe and was stealing some bonds that were in her name so she could cash them in and run away. She was sixteen at the time. There they were, the adaption papers. She felt betrayed and many other thoughts went through her head about her life. All the questions she had ask herself for many years were suddenly answered. Now she knew why she never felt loved or wanted at least that what she let herself believe. I do think they should have told her about it but I dont think they loved her any less than if she had been flesh and blood. Grandma was hard on momma but from what I heard from momma she needed to be hard on her. Momma figured that grandma might think because she was born out of wed lock that she was gonna be like her real mother. If grandma said no about anything momma wanted to do and momma would do her best to do just the opposite. I dont know but, I do know that being adopted did torment momma all her life . . .

My thought about momma and daddys marriage on October 18, 1951. was that she used daddy to get out of Clare and out of grandmas life so, she could have a life. It lasted fifty years with all kinds of joy, heartache and love, even if it was a strange love. I know momma loved daddy and he loved her if not they had killed each other over the years with some of the things that happened to them and by them, and besides they only had each other at the end of the day. The pipeliner’s crew was on the road again by December 1951 with daddy and momma and Lee Ann in tow. The next stop was Waterbury Connecticut where I was born on 7/12/52 and yes, go ahead and count I have and it just does add up to nine months . . .

Lee Ann & Me
Age Three Months
When I was born, they were almost complete with the job in Waterbury so we left when I was six days old. The next stop that I remember was Morehead Ky. I was about four years old. We had a small apartment over a car dealer ship. I ask Lee Ann if I was dreaming or did I remember Morehead. She told me no that we did live there and told me the rest of the story. Momma by that time had in some respects become disenchanted by her marriage to daddy. She spent a lot of time, doing something other than taking care of us. She would fix us tomato sandwiches and let us sit under the stair well at the apartment . . .  

Me at 8 Months
&
Daddy & Rabbit

I can remember just like it was yesterday, a ditch for water drainage and a small walkway over it and walking across it by myself, just to see this man who was a mechanic at the dealer ship. Why would a four-year-old girl child be left to wonder over to where guys were working unless they are not being watched by the person who is responsible for them? Like I said I don't know if it was my imagination or did it really happen. I dont remember much but I do remember Lee Ann having an asthma attack and almost dying. We had to look up a preacher that had a Chihuahua dog. That is an old home remedy for asthma to sleep with the Chihuahua dog. We found the preacher who had the dog and she got better by morning. I also remember momma told Lee Ann that they were going to see Jerry Lewis in concert and Lee Ann was so excited and happy. When they went to the concert and Jerry Lee Lewis not Jerry Lewis, the comedian was playing, Lee Ann was so unhappy but on the other hand momma loved it. I really I don't remember that Lee Ann Told me when I ask her about Morehead . . .

Next Chapter is about moving to Hartsville our first real home . . .